Monday, September 19th
Cancer Pain SIG Symposium
The war against cancer pain is raging fiercely. While there seems to be a lot of progress in therapeutic options for cancer pain management, new challenges are rearing their ugly heads. What do we do about the opioid crises in some parts of the world? The perennial shortage of opioids in developing countries continues unabated. What about non-drug options for pain relief? How available and accessible are the interventional pain management techniques? What is the way forward regarding alternative approaches? These and many more questions have been left unanswered. So, are we winning the war against cancer pain?
- Describe the general overview of cancer pain management
- Discuss both drug and non-drug treatment options in cancer pain
- Discuss challenges in cancer pain management and how to overcome them
08:30 – Symposium Begins
- Opening Remarks
- Stefan Wirz, PhD (Germany): Overview of Cancer Pain Management
- Elizabeth Ogboli Nwasor, MBBS, DA(WACS), FWACS, MPH, PgDA(WFSA) (Nigeria): How do we overcome the Challenges of Cancer Pain Management?
- Jordi Perez, MD, PhD, FIPP (Canada): Interventional techniques in Cancer Pain Management
10:45-11:00 – Morning Coffee Break
- Tosin Adekeye, PhD (Nigeria): Psychological Approaches in cancer pain management
- General Discussion Moderated by Tolu Alugo, MD, MSC, FDPCOAI, CIME, DCAPM, FIPP, CIPS, ASRA-PMUC (Canada)
11:15 – Closing Remarks
12:00 – End of Symposium